Youth In Governance is a program that allows 14 youth (rising high school juniors & seniors) to sit on the 7 different county boards and provides them with a mentor. This program is great for youth who want to learn more about county government and want to be civically engaged in their community and the decisions that are made about Kenosha.
Youth must be nominated by this Friday, January 31st, 2020 using the link below or attached form:
Be sure to check out the promotional video of youth talking about their experience along with other background information: https://kenosha.extension.wisc.edu/youth-development/youth-in-governance/
Please review the criteria and program selection process:
Youth In Governance members who are selected will gain instrumental leadership skills and knowledge from having the opportunity to serve on one of the seven County Board committees. The requirements to participate in Youth In Governance are:
- Youth must be a high school student in 10th or 11th grade
- Youth must have a GPA of 2.5 or greater
- Youth must be a Kenosha County resident
- Youth must be able to attend the monthly meetings of their committee
- w Youth must attend at least one Kenosha County Board meeting during their term
- w Youth must participate in the YIG Bus Tour held last Wednesday in June
- w Youth must be able to attend additional committee meetings that are combined with other committees
After nominations are submitted, all nominees will receive a letter indicating that they have been nominated for Youth In Governance. If they are interested, they must complete an application.
Youth In Governance applications are reviewed and youth will be selected for face-to-face interviews with the Kenosha County Board of Supervisors Planning, Development & Extension Education Committee. The Committee makes recommendations for Youth In Governance members to the Kenosha County Board Chairman. All Youth In Governance members are appointed by the Kenosha County Board Chairman
If you have any questions feel free to contact Vickie LeFlore, Positive Youth Development Extension Educator at (262) 653-1934 or email@example.com.