2019 Racine and Kenosha Master Gardener Volunteer Community Projects:
In Kenosha County, 50 Master Gardener Volunteers offered 2,390 hours of volunteer service for an estimated value of $57,351 (Independent Sector). In addition, Master Gardener Volunteers in Kenosha County obtained 939 hours of continuing education and reached an estimated 6,327 individuals with various outreach projects.
In Racine County, 84 Master Gardener Volunteers offered 3,917 hours of volunteer service for an estimated value of $94,003 (Independent Sector). In addition, Master Gardener Volunteers in Racine County obtained 1,084 hours of continuing education and reached an estimated 5,835 individuals with various outreach projects.
PLANT HEALTH ADVISING
1) Horticulture Help Desk
- Locations: Kenosha County Center: Bristol and Racine County: Ives Grove; Sturtevant
- Focus: Answer plant related inquiries from home gardeners (phone, email, walk-in) using university research based resources.
2) Outreach Sites
- Location: Kenosha Harbor Market
- Focus: Staff booth and answer plant related inquiries using university research based resources. Includes booth set-up and take-down.
3) Botany in the Classroom
- Locations: Schools in Racine County and Kenosha County
- Focus: Provide educational interactive plant related lessons to 1st-4th graders.
4) Hawthorn Hollow
- Location: 880 Green Bay Road, Kenosha
- Focus: Assist with landscape project; act as educational guide for field trips.
5) Curtis Strange Elementary School Garden
- Location: 5414 49th Avenue, Kenosha
- Focus: With support of teaching staff, MGV’s and students plan, plant and help maintain school garden and provide garden related educational activities.
VEGETABLE PRODUCTION/TEACHING GARDEN
6) Garden of Giving
- Location: 2503 Lincolnwood Court, Racine
- Focus: Plant and maintain organic vegetable gardens at Lakeside Curative Services. All food raised is donated to Racine County Food Bank.
7) Racine County Teaching Garden
- Location: 2000 DeKoven Avenue, Racine
- Focus: Plant and maintain garden site to demonstrate organic vegetable and fruit production. All food raised is donated to Racine County Food Bank.
8) Hospice Meditation Garden
- Location: Kenosha Hospice Alliance Home, 10220 Prairie Ridge Road, Pleasant Prairie
- Focus: Plant and maintain therapeutic gardens.
9)Wisconsin Veteran’s Home Therapeutic Garden
- Location: 21425 Spring Street, Union Grove
- Focus: Plant and maintain therapeutic gardens at Fairchild Hall on grounds of Southern WI Center.
10) Gardens at Bong State Recreation Area
- Location: 26313 Burlington Road, Kansasville
- Focus: Plant and maintain gardens at park entryway.
11) Gardens of DeKoven
- Location: 600 21st Street, Racine
- Focus: Maintain and design herb, perennial and container gardens in a historic setting.
12) Graham Public Library
- Location: 1215 Main Street, Union Grove
- Focus: Plant and maintain gardens. Provide educational programs.
13) The Kemper Center
- Location: 5401 3rd Avenue, Kenosha
- Focus: Plant and maintain gardens. Assist with arboretum promotion.
14) Kenosha County Center Demonstration Garden
- Location: 19600 75th Street, Bristol
- Focus: Plan, plant, and maintain gardens for educational purposes.
15) Mt. Pleasant Civic Campus
- Location: 8811 Campus Drive, Mount Pleasant
- Focus: Plan, plant, and maintain landscape beds.
16) Racine County Visitors Bureau/Real Racine
- Location: 14015 Washington Avenue, Sturtevant
- Focus: Plan, plant, and maintain demonstration garden at Visitor’s Center.
17) Racine Public Library
- Location: 75 7th Street, Racine
- Focus: Maintain indoor plants in downtown library.
18) Sturtevant Beautification
- Location: 8901 89th Street, Sturtevant
- Focus: Plant and maintain gardens at several locations in Sturtevant.
19) Waterford Rain Garden/Norway Gardens
- Location: 123 North River Street, Waterford; 6419 Heg Park Road, Wind Lake
- Focus: Maintain rain garden at Waterford Village Hall; maintain meadow/perennial garden at Norway Town Hall.
20) Wind Point Lighthouse Gardens
- Location: 4725 Lighthouse Drive, Racine
- Focus: Plant and maintain perennial beds and herb garden with historical significance.