Kenosha County Youth As Resources (YAR) is a grant-giving program that funds youth-designed and youth-led community service projects in Kenosha County. Youth, with guidance from adults, determine the project they believe will address a need in their community. Youth groups may apply to Kenosha County Youth As Resources (YAR) for grants of up to $500 which may be used to purchase supplies for the project, but may not be used to pay for volunteer time. The Youth As Resources Board reads all applications and then invites youth groups to present their proposals to the board.
Kenosha County Youth As Resources was developed out of a need – a need to make the youth of Kenosha County feel more connected to their community. According to results from a 2010 Search Institute Survey of Kenosha County youth, only 27% felt that they were given useful roles in the community. An even lower 25% of youth felt that adults value them. Kenosha County Youth As Resources is a program of Extension Kenosha County in partnership with the United Way of Kenosha County.
Apply for a Youth As Resources Grant
Four times a year, Youth As Resources awards grants to area youth groups to assist with community service and service-learning initiatives. Youth must design the service projects themselves and must demonstrate their projects are both educational and of benefit to the community in Kenosha County.
|Next Grant Application Due Dates||Grant Presentation Dates|
|Friday, November 11th, 2022
(Extended from Nov 8th)
Tuesday, November 15th, 2022
- Grant Application (PDF) – English/Spanish
- Grant Application (Word) – English/Spanish
- Project Proposal Evaluation Form – English/Spanish
- YAR Project Presentation Tips – English/Spanish
- Map to Kenosha Area Business Alliance Building (5500 6th Avenue, Suite 210, Kenosha, WI)
Service Opportunities for Youth
There are so many incredible organizations in Kenosha County with which youth can create an awesome Youth As Resources project! Need help finding one? – Check out these lists of local nonprofits. If you have an idea for a project related to their work or that would help them do their work, give them a call and ask them to be your sponsor – or reach out to Kenosha County Extension to help connect you with that organization. Any organization, school, church, etc. that serves the Kenosha County Community is eligible to be a sponsor. These are not exhaustive lists.
- Kenosha County Health Department’s “Kenosha Community Resources Booklet”
- Emergency Services Network of Kenosha County Resource List
- Kenosha County Aging & Disability Resource Center Resource List
- Kenosha Area of Commerce Business Directory: Nonprofit Organizations
- Visit Kenosha: Local Organizations & Services
- Kenosha.com: Community Resources
Board of Directors (Applications for 2023-2024 YAR Board will open in Spring of 2023)
The Kenosha County Youth As Resources Board of Directors is made up of nine youth (grades 9-12) and three adults throughout Kenosha County. This board meets once a month to discuss community issues, award grants to youth-led community service groups, and plan community involvement initiatives. Youth board members develop leadership and professional skills while working alongside adults.
Applications for the 2022-23 YAR Board were due by Monday, April 25th, 1:00 p.m., 2022. Interviews took place April 26th between 5-8pm at United Way of Kenosha County, 5500 6th Ave, Kenosha, WI 53140 (virtual accommodations can be made in extenuating circumstances). Check back in Spring 2023 for updated dates and forms for the 2023-2024 cycle.
- YAR Board Member Nomination Form 2022-23
- YAR Board Member Application Online Form 2022-23 (Preferred method of application).
- YAR Board Member Application Printable 2022-23 English/Spanish
- Board Manual (2021-22)
- Promotional Flyer for YAR Board Application (2022-23) English/Spanish
- About YAR Handout (2022-23) English/Spanish
In memory of her husband Leonard Johnson, Patricia Johnson donated the initial funds to start the Endowment Fund in 2008. The fund is designed to ensure the long-range sustainability of the Kenosha County Youth As Resources program. Only the earnings of the fund will be used to support local youth-led service projects.
The Kenosha County Youth As Resources annual reports outline the projects that have received funding from October to May of that year (e.g. Oct 2014 – May 2015). The annual reports serve as a tool to help you see what has been done in the community and by whom. You may also use the annual reports to help jump-start your community service project with ideas for projects you could do.
- Annual Report (2020-2021)
- Annual Report (2019-2020)
- Annual Report (2017-2018)
- Annual Report (2016-2017)
- Annual Report (2015-2016)
- Annual Report (2014-2015)
- Annual Report (2013-2014)
- Annual Report (2012-2013)
- Annual Report (2011-2012)
- Annual Report (2010-2011)
- Annual Report (2009-2010)
- Annual Report (2008-2009)
- Annual Report (2007-2008)
- Annual Report (2006-2007)
- Annual Report (2005-2006)